Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Veteran's Day...

Shortly before Veterans Day earlier this month I had the opportunity to plan the Duty to God activity for the young men in our neighborhood (I usually get to do this once a month or so, and Summer always offers great help and sound advice). The “expansive” local Syracuse museum was putting on a veteran’s exhibit, and the night of the activity was opening night (the Hill Air Force Base museum was closed and they were unwilling to open late for a special tour). The exhibit was small, but really pretty cool (20 young men and leaders filled the space up quickly). A retired military man was there as a sort of guide, and he had actually served for the entire Vietnam War. I was so impressed to talk with him. I’m impressed to hear about our military personnel serving today and doing multiple one or two year tours, but I can’t imagine being able and willing to serve for the entire Vietnam War. After being at the museum for about 20 minutes we headed back to the church for the rest of the activity. My work has been involved in a program that sends packages to military personnel serving overseas. So after talking about Veterans Day and our visit to the museum I asked the young men if they would be interested in writing brief thank you cards that would be included in the packages being sent overseas. Everyone wanted to participate, and for the next 15 minutes these 12 to 17 year old young men put a few thoughts down on some thank you cards we provided. I was impressed with each of their responses and wanted to share parts of a few of them with you:

•I wish I had the courage to do what you do every day. Good luck! Stick with it. Push forward.

•I can’t imagine what it’s like, but I know you must have lots more courage then I do. I don’t think I could ever thank you enough.

•I’m very glad for all you do. I want to let you know you’re in my prayers. Stay safe!

•You have made this country stronger every second you are out there. We love you people, and hope you make our country invincible.

•I want to thank you for being a hero for our country. You are the reason this country is America!

•If you guys weren’t fighting we wouldn’t have any of the freedoms and privileges we have as Americans. I hope you stay safe and stay brave. Thanks for defending our freedom.

•Although it may not seem like much. I thank you for serving for our country. Knowing that we have good men and women like you out there fighting for us makes me feel safer. We are all praying for your safe return.

•I am a 13 year old boy who wants to thank you for defending us and for fighting the enemy while putting your life in danger. God bless you, and God bless America.

•I appreciate the service you are rendering for our country. Here at home, many of us take freedom for granted, but everyday I pray that I can fully appreciate that freedom and what it means to me. Thank you for your service.

On Veterans Day the scouts put up flags in our neighborhood at around 6 a.m. in the morning. Thinking back to my own teenage years, getting up anytime before 7:00 a.m. was considered cruel and unusual punishment. I hope that putting up the flags on this Veterans Day was a little easier this time around.

No comments: