So we recently read about a contest of sorts, being put on by Ashley Furniture. The contest was open to all children within the Salt Lake valley (including Davis county) ages 4 thru 13. Requirements: submit a hand written letter (must be written by the child) explaining some of the amazing things they do to serve around the community, in school, at home, etc. Summer thought it would be a good idea to see if Coleson wanted to write a letter about some of the things that he’s involved in. My first thought was he only barely turned six and is just in kindergarten, can he really write a full length letter. So we asked Coleson if he wanted to write a letter and submit it to the contest and he thought it would be fun (well, sort of fun). We started out by asking Coleson some specific things he does on a regular basis that makes other people happy. While Coleson talked about serving and loving Ammon, visiting Camille, helping in his classroom, and other items, Summer put her shorthand to work and quickly wrote down word for word everything that he said. Then for the past two weeks Coleson has sat at the kitchen table and patiently (well, as patiently as a six year boy can) transcribed his original words to a letter in his own handwriting. Watching him slowly write this out one letter at a time, taking hour long or nightly breaks every few words or lines, reminded me of the image of kids painstaking writing down Christmas lists for Santa.
Monday was the final day for any submissions, and he finished his letter up while leaving out some details and stories that he originally expressed. Summer, the boys and Brynn hand delivered the submission to the store and included several pictures and other items that helped describe what Coleson had written about. Today Summer received a call. The person said he was from Ashley Furniture and wanted to verify a few things. Summer said the person was enjoying themselves immensely, dragging the questions out, while she was eagerly waiting to hear the real purpose for the call. Turns out Coleson won the contest! Let it be known there was much screaming, yelling, jumping, dancing, and other jubilations, with Coleson just looking on smiling. The person asked if they could put the phone on speaker and talk to Coleson personally. Coleson was a little bit in shock, but once he realized that he won the contest he put on a fairly impressive performance. So what did Coleson win you might be wondering? As you know we are currently finishing our basement and Coleson’s new room will be downstairs. So Coleson needs bedroom furniture to fill his room, and bedroom furniture is exactly what he won. On Saturday morning we have been invited to the main store in Salt Lake, where Coleson will personally pick out a complete set of new bedroom furniture. Apparently the TV news and other local sponsors will be there, and it should be quite the party.
We’ve posted below the content of the winning letter, we think he’s a pretty special kid. I’m sitting here thinking that I’ve never won anything like this, especially at that young age. I did once win a free 15 pound turkey for Thanksgiving, and there was much jumping up and down about that, but that was because I successfully completed an entry form instead of successfully completing a noteworthy act of service. I guess this Christmas I need to try to be a little more focused on the service, instead of just checking the box on an entry form. Congratulations Coleson, we are so pleased with you!
"Dear Santa, My name is Coleson and I am 6. I help my teacher in kindergarten. I got my work done first and my teacher picked me to help everyone. My little brother Ammon, he has Down syndrome, which means he can't do alot of stuff. So Ammon is in preschool. I push him down to the bus. I help the kids at the stretching center. I give them high 5s and make them laugh. I helped my brother say his name in circle time. My neighbor can't walk so she has a wheelchair. Thursdays we bring her breakfast. I make her happy by talking to her. Merry Christ mas."
Yes, he did spell Christmas with a space between Christ and mas.
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Wow! That is so impressive Coleson! His letter, so simple, actually brought me to tears. You both are such amazing parents and do such a good job with the little angels you've been blessed with.
Good Job Coleson!! I'll bet you'll have an awesome new room!
Good job Coleson! We are so proud of you. KyAnn
Wow! Coleson you are awesome. Keep up the good work bud!
Post a Comment