Monday, March 1, 2010

Have I told you lately that I love you ...

My husband turned 35 last month. 35! It seems so old, it's a good thing I have a few more years to come to terms with that, 30 was hard enough. Brian doesn't seem to mind. I guess his older maturity has always been attractive to me. There's something about him being a little older, being able to handle life's situations well that is comforting to me. I'm still trying to grow up. In Brian's own words, he had an "awesomely fantastic birthday."

I traveled with the kids to visit my parents in California for two weeks in Jan. while we were off track from school. I'll spare you all the details, but flying with three kids by myself with a delayed flight and connecting flight was not the ideal start to a break/vacation. I guess I can laugh about it now, but it's taken me a month and half to get over it and I've vowed never to fly with the kids by myself again. I was saved by some very nice passengers--and Coleson was an amazing help-especially when I bribed him with a Happy Meal. For some reason I thought since Brynn can walk now I wouldn't have to hold two kids at the same time and that I would be able to do it, I forgot about the sitting and holding still part that Brynn does not do well now.

Brian was working long hours and traveling, so I did not expect to see him for his birthday. Well, he was able to get a last minute flight and come for the weekend to California. I had to pull together a last minute birthday celebration with Ammon very sick, my parents gone to my Uncle's funeral, and with the storms and sickness keeping us all inside. So, we had a crab feast, a yummy icecream cake, and watched many HGTV shows and On Demand movies. We had fun! I thought what I did for him was pretty nice. What Brian really did though, was give up his free time to come help me. He knew I was trying to have a little break. The flight was hard. Ammon got croup really bad, every day was a challenge. I think the thing that saved us from a hospital trip was his feeding tube. He never got dehydrated. I was still trying to make Coleson's time off fun everyday. It was cold and rainy so we had to stay inside. I was up every night between all the kids sleeping in a different place, suctioning Ammon's nose and still recovering from my sickness. My parents were a huge help when they came home from work. Brian knew I was wearing myself out. He could have done whatever he wanted by himself, but he wanted to be with his wife and children for his birthday and to help me.





I didn't realize it over that weekend, but I have now. I kept thinking, I would love to have a weekend to myself, read, go shopping with friends without kids, clean the house without someone undoing it, catch up on projects that I've been trying to finish for the last 5 years..I guess I am still trying to grow up, I'm still selfish when it comes to finding time for myself. Don't get me wrong I was so happy to be with Brian on his birthday and so glad he came out. It just took me a while to realize that he really didn't care about getting for his birthday, and really just gave. So I love you Brian! Thanks for all you do for our family and Happy Belated Birthday, Valentine's Day, everyday!!!

No comments: