Sunday, November 13, 2011

Moving day

Today we finally graduated from the PICU! Hooray, we are no longer in critical condition and one step closer to going home. We are now in ICS, the cancer treatment unit (affectionately referred to as "upstairs on the 4th floor"). We have our own room again and a lot less pokes and prods. Actually after we moved mid day Sunday, we really haven't been bothered except for respiratory treatments. One day as I was walking through the hospital, all sweaty from doing a morning run, on the way to the parent showers, I realized that I live here. I eat, sleep, exercise, shower, and work (to get Ammon better) here. I do feel like I am leaving all my new friends in the PICU. All the nurses and doctors have been great. One of our favorite nurses got to move upstairs with us and continue to take care of Ammon the rest of the day. We both felt like we were out of our comfort zone here in the ICS. Ammon and I stared at each other a lot. He really didn't feel like doing anything. The rest of the family came to visit us, as this is the last day that kids are allowed in to visit due to hospital restrictions. From here on out, Coleson and Brynn can only be with or say hi to Ammon over Skype whenever he is in the hospital. Brian apparently got Ammon to laugh while I was walking around with the kids. So not fair.

So far so good with his last regime of chemo from Friday. With the recent chemo treatment the plan is to watch him for a few more days and then hopefully figure out a plan to go home. He is still on the bipap at night, continuous feeds and a whole lot of medications, all of which we could possibly do at home. It's been a good day!

3 comments:

Jen Cheney said...

It is so great to hear of this new victory for Ammon. Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you.

Karen said...

Awesome news! So glad for this "graduation"!:)

Marcy said...

That is way beyond wonderful news!! So glad that Ammon is doing better and will get to come home soon!!