Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Ammons condition

Ammon has been a trooper, once again. After one night in the PICU, his vitals were stable enough to move to the ICS unit. He had been pretty calm on Monday, until late afternoon his crying began. It got worse and worse throughout the night and they were concerned about his oxygen level on the rise. Once we got his pain under control and calmed down, about 3 am, he was stable again. He was having servere abdominal pain and on Tuesday I took him to get an ultrasound and x-rays. The only thing they saw abnormal was tons of gas. We tried mylocon drops, heat packs, massage, and pumping his legs, but nothing seemed to be helping. He had a pretty good bowel movement that night and I was waiting for him to relax and fall asleep, like that was a relief, but no such luck. He did calm down for a few hours to sleep. Then this morning at 5:30 am, I could tell he was trying again and we soon had a diaper explosion. I quickly hit the call button for nurse back up. That's one benefit of being in the hospital, immediate help with changing diapers. After we scrubbed him down, poor Ammon, he went right to sleep. You could tell that it seriously wore him out. After sleeping in he woke up without crying. That's when I knew we had turned the corner on this particular battle. It's been a painful few days. He met the criteria today of not having a fever for 48 hours, however his white blood cell is still next to nothing, but he did get a hematacrit(red blood cell) transfusion. That might help with the overall function of his oxygen demands and healing. Tomorrow we will see if his counts improve and talk about possibly going home on Friday!

No comments: