Sunday, March 4, 2012

Checking In ...

Well we made it through another two weeks. It's taking longer for Ammon to bounce back from his treatments, but he's still enduring. Last weekend we had to spend a night at the hospital because he was having a ton of seizures from the steroids. He was looking kind of lethargic and I did not want another pancreatic issue. He also seemed to be in a lot of pain, I was giving him Tylenol or Oxycontin around the clock. Our doctor advised us to go to the hospital to have him checked. By the time I drove into the parking lot of Primary Children's, Ammon seemed so calm and happy, I thought maybe he just needed some fresh air and a good nap, I was tempted not to go in. It's hard for me to submit him to trauma-poking and prodding-when he isn't crying. I knew the moment doctors started evaluating him, he would start crying. He did-although he was crying significantly at home-and was crying so hard he couldn't seem to catch his breath and his oxygen sats were dropping. I reassured the medical staff that he was not having breathing issues before we came in, he was not sick, he just gets all worked up when we go there. He recognizes where we are. His lipase was a little elevated so they watched that and we gave him some extra medication to stop the seizure cycles. I knew he would be okay in a few days, when he was done with the steroids. The next day his seizures were still happening pretty often, but I felt okay taking him home (Brian was going out of town so I needed to go home). I know the longer we stay in the hospital our chances of not getting enough sleep and catching a virus go up exponentially by the hour.

The day after we were done with steroids, Ammon slept almost through the night and he was back to just having a few seizures. He walked in his walker today and I finally pulled his tooth out, the one we thought got knocked out while we were inpatient. It was just chipped and impacted in his gums. It had been hanging there for weeks, but again i don't like to inflict any extra pain on him. We go in on Monday for his next treatment. Hopefully just 3 more weeks left.



What in the world is she doing? She drug the bag of potatoes into the living room, took off her socks and stuck her feet in. I asked Brynn what she was doing and she just shrugged and said it felt good. She really likes pushing or pulling heavy things around so maybe that's what started it? Brian thought it would be fun for everyone to think of a caption for the picture, Like "Pota-TOES"

She cracks us up. She has learned how to copy laughs, like my mom's or mine, but her true laugh is the perfect giggle. Today she told me all about her "sister" named Marea and her friend named Dickle? I've never been around someone who has had imaginary friends, but she was definitely talking to them today and even asked if I liked Marea's pink dress. Then they both got sick and had to go home. They live with her teacher. I think I have mentioned before how she always talks about her teacher. She is always saying "My teacher can do that, or my teacher has that" Her teacher sounds like this amazing person who can do everything.
More Brynn: "Mom if I get more and more poop out I will turn into a little baby"


Coleson made this scarf at school. I am impressed. I asked if he could make one for me. Coleson just ended his basketball season. He made some improvement this year. He said his best skill is to bring the ball down the court and to pass it to the kid who always makes it. I cut Coleson's hair pretty short after this picture. He looked in the mirror and said "Mom, I didn't know I had ears that stuck out" My kids make me smile everyday. Life is good.

No comments: