Friday, October 21, 2011

Birthday Wishes...

It was Ammon's birthday yesterday, and he turned 6 years old. It has been a wonderful 6 years of joy having Ammon in our lives. Ammon did better on his birthday, and he's continued to sleep through to today. I can think of a thousand better places to be and thousand better ways to spend a birthday, but I struggle to think of a thousand better presents to receive on a birthday. It made it so much easier to tell people about his birthday and really celebrate it, knowing all the goodness coming from it and the kind gifts received on his behalf. Little children laughed and played as they were loved by their parents, grandmothers were remembered and cherished by their children and grandchildren, and memories of eternal significance were dreamed and created. We don't want to be here anymore, we want to go home, but all these gifts blessed Ammon and each of us through one more day and will be with us for a long time to come. Miracles occurred yesterday.

We've been sharing the gifts with Ammon that people have called in to us, have left in the comments, have relayed via text message, have emailed, and have spoken in person. It made a huge difference. Though the sicknesses and cancer are still there, the love Ammon has felt is so much stronger than those. Through each of you, in your own individual and inspired ways, you were instruments in God's hands in sending His love. You brought to pass miracles. The stories you shared and the miracles you performed are simply what Heavenly Father would have done. So thank you for being his angels and messengers of love, thank you for following His inspiration.

We loved all the stories that were shared, and it was a treat to tearfully and joyfully read each of them to Ammon by his bed. I wanted to share with you one of the many (we'll share more as well; so many gifts that we just can't keep them with only ourselves). Cody is a friend of mine from work and he shared the following story (actually everyone at work put together similar stories and birthday gifts and sent them all over in a giant document to share with Ammon; I love where I work):

Dear Ammon,

Happy Birthday!!!

I’m very impressed with what your favorite gifts are. For someone so young, you really do know what is important.

As my gift to you, I would like to share one of my favorite stories on giving gifts. Now it’s not my own story, but it is one that is personal and very true. It’s a little out of season, but I think it is fun nonetheless:

My Grandma had lived her entire life on a little street in Orem. She was born on this street. She grew up on this street. She eventually even raised her own children on this street. All her family and friends lived on this little street in Orem.

Well, my Grandpa got a new job that required them to move to Logan. Back then, Logan was really far away from Orem. My Grandma had to move from that little street and those she loved. Although Logan was a nice, it made my Grandma sad to be in a place where she didn’t know anyone. My Mom, Marilu, saw clearly that Grandma was very sad. Marilu wanted desperately to make Grandma feel better.

As Valentine’s Day was approaching, Marilu had an idea on how to make Grandma happy. Being only fifteen at the time, Marilu saved and purchased the only box of chocolates she could afford; the cheapest ones. My Aunt Carla distracted my Grandma and Grandpa while Marilu snuck out and secretly left the cheap chocolates at the front door. Marilu rang the doorbell, then slipped back into the house undetected.

My Grandma opened the door to find the simple heart shaped box of chocolates. She was so excited! She wondered who would be so kind. At Church the following Sunday, she greeted everyone as if they were the secret valentine. She actually became friendlier to everyone in Logan as EVERYONE was a suspect. Just the knowledge that someone cared gave her confidence to make new friends.

Marilu and Carla felt so good about how this made Grandma feel, that it became an annual activity. They would secretly deliver the valentine of cheap chocolates in a heart shaped box. Eventually, both Marilu and Carla got married and moved away. Marilu and Carla were forced to conspire with others to ensure the continued delivery of the secrete valentine. For 31 straight years, the secret valentine was always delivered.

After Grandma went to Heaven, Marilu and Carla were going thru her things. Placed neatly on top of an empty box of chocolates was a little note from Grandma. The note started with an excerpt from my sister's diary followed by Grandma's thoughts:

“Feb. 14...Mom and Carla have been sending Valentines to Grandma for 26 years anonymously. This year I was the runner and nearly killed myself...” (from Jennie Buck’s Diary, my sister)

Possible – plausible – believable – IT’s TRUE! Of course. This answers so many questions. Fram and I have been completely taken in. I’m flabbergasted.

You played it really cool. You little rascals! What an on-going delight! You created something wonderful!"


Grandma found out the conspirators by going thru my sister’s diary. The story goes that my sister sprained her ankle during the delivery. Not buying the excuse given by my sister and knowing that she kept a detailed diary; my Grandma snuck a peak only to discover the deeper conspiracy.

My favorite part about this story is that it wasn’t really the gift that mattered, but the act of giving and the impact it can have on others. Furthermore, it was just plain fun for all those involved. Ammon, as I read your parent’s description of the gifts you care for, it just reminded me so much of this.

I wish you a Happy Birthday and many more.

Your friend Cody

1 comment:

Hutchings Family said...

Hi Sum and Brian,
Just wanted to let you know that Maga was on board yesterday also. I decided that I would tell each of my students at the elementary school yesterday that they were amazing and wonderful. They are, but I don't always say it. Even as some of them ran out the door I would call and say, Hey.. and as they turned around, I would then say...You know you are amazing! It was a great day! (Could only have been improved if I was with you!!) Maga