Thursday, October 20, 2011

Update...

Here is a brief status update. Ammon’s breathing became more labored again Tuesday night so they have hooked him back up to the cpap machine and then changed it to the bipap, which he is still on. Tuesday they inserted a GJ tube, which is better than the NJ tube alternative. The NJ would have gone through his nose and into his smaller intestine, but the GJ is able to go through his existing G-tube and down to his smaller intestine. They tried giving him pedialyte at only 2cc per hour, but he has been moved off of that because they don’t feel his system is even ready for that yet (about 30cc equals one ounce). Similar to his first vincristine chemo dose, about two days after his dose on Sunday he has not reacted well and had a very uncomfortable and painful Tuesday night. We’ve hooked him back up to several additional medications that have helped him to relax somewhat, but there is always the concern that his heart rate and breathing will decide to drop off as well (it’s a balancing act). The swelling and liquid by his left lung has improved, but as noted above his overall breathing is still quite labored and his chest xrays Wednesday was not quite as good as Tuesday. Unfortunately, he is experiencing severe swelling and pain in some of his lower regions. They have increased his lasix treatments in an effort to pull that liquid out of the body or back into the membrane. Ammon’s seizures continue to increase and the neurology team continues to explore what to do next. The return of the seizures to this extreme is very disheartening. With his body in this condition the seizures are very painful to him. It's like having a torn muscle and then the seizure makes you involuntarily flex that muscle as hard as you can. I think Ammon was doing better Tuesday at times, and Tuesday night is simply just a reminder that things will continue to change from day to day, and it will likely continue to be slow going for the next while. Because of the additional medications, Ammon slept better last night as is still sleeping on his birthday morning. We are hopeful that his birthday is a day of rest and improvement for him.

The Birthday Gift post below has touched a tender place for many of Ammon's friends, family, and others. Throughout the day, we are excited to hear about and start sharing with Ammon the gifts of time and love that people have been inspired to perform or committed to perform for others. We just wanted to give a brief update post on Ammon's current condition. We'll post more later today.

8 comments:

Kathy Wilson said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MY LITTLE ANGEL AMMON!!!! I love and pray for you and your family. You have been such an inspiration to me and have made me strive to be a better person because I have known you. May our Heavenly Father pour out his blessings upon you.
Love you, Kathy

Hutchings Home said...

Happy Birthday Ammon! Aunt Jill, Uncle Ryan, and Cousin Jayna are all thinking about you today and always. We are strengthened by your courage and willingness to fight adversity. It encourages us to fight our own little adversities even better, and with the braveness of Ammon. We love you all and hope this day to be special for you.

Felt Family said...

Summer and Brian, It was so nice to get to know you better today. We hope that your sweet Ammon has a very special birthday! Your blog is wonderful. Thanks for the reminders about what is really important.

Hope to NOT see you soon! :)
Love,
Matt and Nancy (Spencer's parents)

danandliz said...

Happy Birthday Ammon! We miss your sweet smiling face around here and can't wait to see you again. I wanted to share your gift with you. All of the kids know it is your birthday and did something for you. Connor picked up around the house without being nagged, Hannah laid down with her mother and told her how much she loves her. Isabelle gave Daddy a warm welcome, hug and kiss right when he came in the door...kindof like you do when you see your Daddy. Even Lillian was thinking of you because she gave her parents 6 hours of sleep! Dan and I wanted to give you a present also. I wrote a letter to someone I cherish deeply. Dan changed did some wash, made breakfast and lunch for us!! He really wanted you to feel the love today. I hope all the love that you brought us for being born today pours over to where you are at. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Angels will surround you spiritually and on earth. Happy Bithday again. We love you! The Schwab's

KyAnn (like Cayenne Pepper, only HOTTER) said...

The girls and I celebrated Ammon's birthday with a present we can't wait for you to tell him about. Because we did secret service, we aren't going to post about it here, but I'll send you a letter and tell Ammon how very much I love him and how very important he is to us. Ammon and I are kindred spirits. Ammon and I have been and will be. I know that. I have a hard time with church and the ward right now, and I don't have a lot of religion in my life except for the prayers I say for my sweet Ammon. Love to you all. KyAnn

Brooke said...

Aunt Brooke, Uncle Kevin and your cousins all want to wish you a Happy Birthday!! Even though we couldn't spend your special day with you, we are thinking of you and love you so very much!

Anonymous said...

This is a little late but we still wanted to share with you what we did for your birthday! We baked cookies for the neighbors, you guys are not home so we still have some for your family. We met some of the neighbors in front of your house and sang Happy Birthday to you Ammon and we each released a balloon and made a wish for you. We love you! Get better soon :)
The Johnson's

Anonymous said...

I was feeling bad this past week, that I had made too many mistakes. Then I remembered it was Ammon's birthday and that I wanted to do something for him, so I thought of 2 people in my family who needed some extra help and love and planned things to do for them. All the bad feelings vanished and then I realized: I can start over anytime I want--life is in the future, not the past.
Thank you for reminding me of that, sweet Ammon.